The BP Ultimate BRW Triathlon

On Sunday I competed in the Perth leg of the national BP Ultimate BRW Triathlon series. Here’s how it went down.

The guys got to my place at about 6:15AM and we rode down to the foreshore for the 6:30AM opening of the bike compound. We found our way pretty quickly and dropped our bikes and the Bike Hint gear in the transition area. It was important to remember the row we’d parked our bikes in come transition time, or we’d be wondering around aimlessly looking for the bikes, as Doug would later find out.

The race was late starting because the compound hadn’t been filled (and cleared of people) on time. Jacob was our first man in the water, and he started 21 minutes after the first racer. We had blue swim caps with white writing, which put us in the “informal” group, which was the last group to start the main race.

About half an hour after the main race started the sprint race started. This was different from the main race in that instead of each competitor competing in the full triathlon, three team members would do one stage each.

Jacob was the last out of the water in his division, which meant that we were effectively in last place for the whole race – I though that we’d be in trouble when our best swimmer came in last in our division :) He entered the transition area and Michael and myself made our way to the start of the bike track and waited for him to come out. And waited. It turned out that Jacob was confused with the bike rows and wasted about 3 minutes looking for his iron steed. Thankfully he found his ride and we saw him start the bicycle leg.

We waited and saw Jacob come across the dismount line after his 10km bike ride. He want back into the bike compound and swapped the deadly-treadly for his running shoes and came out for the 4km run.

At this point I needed to start getting ready so I went into the team transition area and waited for Doug to finish the run and give me our timing strap.

He came through the gates and we swapped the band without any problems and I started making my way into the Swan.

After the first 100m I gave up on freestyle as I was drinking too much of the river in each stroke. That sucked, big time. As I rounded the first buoy I knew that the only way I was actually going to finish the race was through sheer determination, as I clearly had no swimming ability. I settled into a slow but steady breast-stroke (queue the jokes) down the 200m straight. A few of the lifeguards asked if I was OK and I smiled and nodded, and carried on my not-so-merry way.

Getting out of the water my legs felt like jelly(fish) and I made my way into the bike area. Jacob and Michael gave me some Gatorade on the way which was great. I found my wheels no-problem and had a quick towel-down, threw on my shirt, socks and cycling shoes and pushed the bike to the mount line. Doug and Michael cheered me on some more.

I got on the bike and noticed that the tyres felt really, really flat. I hadn’t noticed this on the ride from my house in the morning, but it meant that I couldn’t go as fast as I wanted to as there was more surface on the road, and I was losing energy. I did the 10km circuit out to UWA and back at a steady pace, knowing that I had the run coming up next. Michael and Doug met me at the end of the bike leg and motivated me further.

I dropped the bike and grabbed my shoes and hit the 4km run. About 1km into it I got a really bad stitch just below my right rib cage. I knew I had two choices: I could stop and rest for a second and make up the time later, or keep going at a slower pace. I decided that it was more important to me to be able to say that I had done the race without stopping than to stop and recover, so I kept on trudging.

I entered the transition area and was told that Michael had been sent out with another timing band already so I didn’t need to hand mine off to him. This was a bit disappointing, as I would have liked to “tag” him into the race, but because of the delays with the start they were pushed for time and sent out the third competitors before the second returned for about two dozen of the remaining teams.

I met Doug and we went to see Michael finish up his swim. He didn’t look good, but then none of us did after the swim. He transitioned and we gave him some Gatorade. Doug and I met Michael as he came out the bike compound and as he started the bike race we cheered for him.

At this point, we were the last team on the course, although there were racers only a few minutes in front of us.

Michael came out ready for his run and he didn’t look good. Doug and I were going to run with him to help motivate him, but we didn’t get a chance. Mike made it a few hundred metres, stopped, and threw up a litre of Gatorade. An event organiser came over and was really helpful, offering us water and advice, and really making everyone feel better. I appreciated that.

As team captain I made the choice to withdraw us form the race. Michael didn’t look like he could finish and I didn’t want him to feel pressured into to completing the race, so I decided it was enough.

We gathered our thoughts, had a few laughs and went and met Aaron, Mark and Emma as we collected our bikes. We had lots of stories to tell when we got back to my place, and the three team mates along with Aaron hit Nandos for a well deserved feast.

I had a great time, and the results were as follows:

  Jacob Matt Michael
Swim 10:54 14:35 16:04
Ride 30:48 27:38 30:32
Run 21:08 28:10

Ben pointed out that my time on the swim would have been a minute or so faster than what was recorded because it included Doug running in the gate, handing me the timing strap, me putting it on my ankle and running down to the water’s edge. I’ll take any bonuses I can get :)

This will serve as an interesting record of what my base-line performance is, so that if I train next year I’ll have something to compare it to.

8 Replies to “The BP Ultimate BRW Triathlon”

  1. Hey Man,
    From one triathlete to another… REALLY PROUD!! if you have never done one before you never know quite what to expect, and it’s alot harder than it looks. You did a fantastic job and should be proud of your times… dont worry about the pull out.. health first. the swan is a terrible place to swim, im amazed you didnt come out with the swanny beard :) keep up the bike work and give me a yell sometime and Ill take you out for a spin on the bike round the river :)

  2. Nice work. Sounds like you did well overcoming first time experiences and difficult conditions for the swim.

  3. I’m really glad with how it turned out, but obviously feel bad for Mike. As a team I think we did OK, and we all had fun which was our intention.

    I think I’ll do it again next year, but we’ll see closer to the race.

  4. THe swim was 400m, which took me 14 minutes to d. Take off a minute for transition and I was probably in the water for about 13 minutes. Some people did it in under 6 minutes :)

  5. Hi Matt,

    you need to train to swim well! Practice makes you calm and smooth in the water – for 400m you should be doing about 1500m a week in the pool (one session) and a couple of test open water swims for the 8 weeks prior. I just did the Women’s Tri on the long weekend. Lots of fun – just don’t look at my run time. There is always one leg that is the “weakest link”!

Comments are closed.